python-mwlib + odfpy is a mess.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 19:11:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:33:13AM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Ian Weller<ian at ianweller.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 07:50:52PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >> I put up a simple test page here:
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_page_for_mwlib
> >>
> > Thanks :)
> >
> > Thanks also to Dave Nalley volunteered to commandeer the effort to fix
> > this crapola I created (whee!) so I'll double check that he read this (I
> > assume so).
> >
> >> Good news and bad news:
> >>
> >> * Upstream mwlib is really chugging along.  That's healthy.
> >>
> >> * Current mwlib is now at 0.11.2, which is way ahead of our anemic
> >>   0.9.10.  It now requires odfpy==0.9.
> >>
> >> * odfpy-0.9 shouldn't be too hard to do, right?  I think mwlib is the
> >>   only thing using it.
> >>
> > Correct AFAIK...
> >
> >> * Oh wait, did I mention there's more?  mwlib-0.11.2 also needs
> >>   python-lockfile>=0.8 and python-timelib>=0.2, neither of which we
> >>   have yet, meaning more packaging.
> >>
> > Oh did I mention there's some dependency epic fail going on in EL-5? I
> > don't know what to do about it, nor do I remember what it is, but it has
> > something to do with a Python library being an older version that what
> > we need and the maintainer isn't willing to update because it would
> > break previous code. I'm thinking of dropping EPEL for both of these
> > packages (it was odfpy that was the culprit when I was updating it to
> > 0.9).
>
> Yes I have been reading and started looking at this tonight. Hopefully
> will have a bit more time tomorrow to dedicate to it.

Re: EPEL, as much as I love to have lots of good Fedora stuff in those
repos, is there a specific call for mwlib to work there?  I thought
our use of mwlib was going to be entirely client-side.  Are there any
plans to use, or situations where we might need, mwlib to call from a
server app?

Sorry if I'm not remembering something obvious, too much juggling for
one brain. ;-)