Fedora Knowledge Base

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 16 18:11:09 UTC 2009

On 2009-07-15 06:06:02 PM, Sijis Aviles wrote:
> Based on a submitted enhancement request
> (https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/208) I started
> investigating possible solutions. I eventually ended up finding a
> php-based tool named phpmyfaq which seems to have met the original
> submitter's feature list.
>
> I'm bringing my findings here as I believe the docs team would be the
> primary user of this tool. I'd like to get some feedback and
> alternatives and know if this is something worth pursuing.
Hi, as I mentioned on IRC, I think this is one of the most important
things Fedora is missing in making us a more newbie-friendly distro, so
I'm really excited to see Sijis working on this :-)

One example of the problems I see from the user's perspective is
the ease of searching for certain information.  If you look at the
results for:

http://www.google.com/search?q=opensuse+apache
http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+apache

the difference in the quality of the results is astounding.  Another
example of the type of user resource that I'm trying to describe here is
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Index:Tutorials (although maybe including
some even more basic topics, like how to use yum, or how to setup sudo,
etc. - the helpers in #fedora could be an excellent group to ask about
what types of docs would be useful).

One thing I'm curious about is what you guys think about doing these
sorts of howtos via the wiki vs. the knowledge base.  Although the
barrier to entry for a knowledge base might be a tiny bit higher, it
might have workflow features that you guys would find handy.

How do you all think we can approach starting an effort to create this
type of friendly, "task-driven" HOWTO-style documentation?

Thanks,
Ricky