New Project: HOWTO Freely Obtain Our Source

Philip Olson philip at roshambo.org
Mon Jun 1 17:18:54 UTC 2009

On Jun 1, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 12:00:50PM -0400, Eric Christensen wrote:
>> I'd like to hear some thoughts on a project to document where all
>> Fedora's source is located and how someone could obtain it.  The
>> thought is that while we make all of our source freely available to
>> anyone I don't think we are doing a good job of letting people know
>> where they can find it.  While we might be meeting the letter of the
>> rules I think we can do better.
>>
>> This would include ALL source: software, docs, art, etc.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> There is information on this scattered widely around the wiki but
> there's no doubt it's hard to find if you're approaching the question
> from the standpoint of "How do I get source?" without knowing what
> source, or why.
>
> And by saying that, I am absolutely *not* saying that's a bad way to
> ask the question!  In fact, I think the *idea* of getting the source
> is just so powerful that we should make it drop-dead simple even for
> people who have no idea exactly why they want it.  That idea, when you
> combine it with the collaborative power of the community, is what
> powers this entire project and indeed all of FOSS.

A month or so ago I joined and simply wanted to download and mess
around with some documentation sources to see what would happen. I
remember a total inability to find something to download, and jumped
around from CVS <-> SVN <-> GIT <-> WIKI so felt confused and lost. I
understand a restructuring is taking place but fwiw I gave up and
moved on to other shiny objects (not Fedora) because of this. However,
I'm back and am wanting to help newcomers like me get involved.

In summary: I think it's a good idea :)

Regards,
Philip