changing content licenses (OPL => CC BY SA)

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 10:35:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:14:28AM -0400, Eric Christensen wrote:

> Why would we allow people to not sign the CLA to write for the relnotes?
> Don't we want contributors of Fedora to be our contributors for the
> relnotes?  Especially seeing as how this single document gets wedged
> into every release and is posted or referred to in many other
> announcements (i.e. high visibility).

Please re-read the below funnel+filter, I think it addresses your
questions.  The CLA in this idea is required at a certain point in the
contribution.

Realize that if we could remove the CLA requirement for the rest of
the wiki, that would be a good thing.  We then need to deal with what
happens when we want to convert that content to a guide, how much it
is, etc.  Since we have this already for the relnotes but in a
centralized set of pages, perhaps we can be clever about it.

- Karsten

> On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 22:22 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> >
> > One difference going in to the future is that we have worked on having
> > improved editing via the Docs CMS (Zikula), and I can foresee Docs
> > moving most of this editing to the improved wysiwyg environment in
> > Zikula.  We could enact a different type of contribution policy for
> > the Docs CMS than for the wiki, although I think we'd want to focus on
> > keeping the barriers the same (i.e., no CLA per-se for the relnotes
> > writing part of the CMS with a deeper reaching policy?)
> >
> > Perhaps we have a funnel+filter approach like this for any guide
> > written on the wiki, from Release Notes to User Guide.  Let's take the
> > release notes beats as a use case:
> >
> > * Consider a new namespace ([[Relnote:]]?) if that helps us sequester
> >   that content better.
> >
> > * Make it clear that editing the relnotes on the wiki beyond a certain
> >   level may require a contribution agreement.
> >
> > * Minor edits and additions that are not copyrightable are considered
> >   safe for conversion from wiki to CLA-covered guides in an SCM.
> >
> > * Major edits and contributions require i) the editor actually have a
> >   CLA with Fedora Project, and ii) they agree to be tracked/included
> >   as an author.
> >
> > * When we include relnotes content, the Docs Team needs to add the
> >   steps of attributing contributions that are copyrightable.  This is
> >   done by identifying the changes via the wiki history tool, then
> >   including a brief description and permanent URI for that history
> >   change in the SCM commit; ideally, one commit per attribution in
> >   some reasonable fashion. This allows tracking back for any future
> >   copyright requirements.
> >
> > Wow, that's a bit of extra work.  Is it worth it?  It might be
> > necessary regardless.  Automating the last step in some manner would
> > be a good idea.
> >
> > - Karsten

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41