Proposal for Implementing a Docbook Editor

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Sat Mar 21 12:17:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 8:04 AM, satya komaragiri <
satya.komaragiri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a final year undergraduate student from India and I plan to apply
> for Google Summer of Code. I would like to implement a Docbook editor.
> I discussed this idea with Mr. Yaakov Nemoy (cc'ed in this mail) who
> has agreed and is guiding me through the process.
>
> The Docbook editor will make it easy to write documentation through a
> wysiwyg interface. Since Docbook has a great collection of XSLs[1] it
> will be easy to convert it to HTML and write a web based editor.

Speaking as a lurker on this list who in real life is trying to wrap her
head around the complexity of formalizing  a docs project in an open source
project... I personally think this feels a real need. Satya, there is also a
docbook-apps list where you might get additional feedback on this idea. I'm
working on a proof of concept for Docbook within our project, and there is a
hurdle for Docbook production with respect to contributions from
nontechnical volunteers (and even to some extent the more technical
participants) that an editor "in the cloud" could significantly help
address.