Updated script

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Tue May 12 17:36:51 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>
To: "John J. McDonough" <wb8rcr at arrl.net>
Cc: <oglesbyzm at gmail.com>; <laubersm at fedoraproject.org>; "Eric Christensen"
<eric at christensenplace.us>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: Updated script

> Hi guys,
>
> (1) This sort of call for review/help should be on the
> fedora-docs-list where more people can help. It's open source!

Point taken.  I still need to get used to this.  This seemed so grody I
didn't think the larger goup would care, but then again, being selfish, I am
always interested in learning more, and the more eyes, the more chances i
have to learn!  My main motivation in sharing this was so that I wasn't the
only person who knew what I was up to, but there is no reason the three of
you have to be the only ones.

On the other hand, this could be a little misleading without some warnings.
The script essentially builds the rpm, and I am the LAST person anyone
should be looking to for advice on building an rpm.  In addition, this is a
transition time, and much of what is in there we hope not to deal with for
Fedora 12.  Most if this is fedora-docs-utils stuff that we hope will be
Publican, and some of the Publican stuff are things we hope will be dealt
with in Publican, so certainly, nobody should put too much value on this
script.

On the other hand, it is certainly a treasure trove of ungainly hacks.

I made the rpm for RC in two steps, so in the latest version, the Publican
parts are commented out.  I have since pushed the I18n.xml that has the
offending paragraph commented out, so I should be able to run the script
from start to finish, but haven't actually done that yet.  After we get the
RC done, I intend to do that so that when any zero day issues are swatted,
we can just run the script to make the rpm.

> (2) Is help still needed?

The package that went to RC has the offending paragraph commented out.  We
still have absolutely no clue what is going on there.  We need someone a lot
more knowledgable about Publican (hint, hint) to help sort it out.  As I
said, I pushed the version of I18n.xml that has the offending paragraph (and
I mean XML paragraph here, from <para> to </para>, it is actually a table)
commented out.  Uncommenting it and generating html in any non-English
language should expose the problem.  Because of the need to merge the po's,
it might be easier to do this from the srpm than from git.  It will
certainly be quicker as the po merge takes some time.