New book endorsement

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu May 14 14:59:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 09:14:13AM +0100, Roy Ellwood wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to this list
>
> I am posting because I have just finished a new book 'Build a home webserver
> using Fedora Core 10'

As someone pointed out elsewhere, you'll want to make sure all your
text removes references to "Fedora Core" and instead uses "Fedora."
Don't mean to sound like a broken record, though!  Read on...

> It is a practical guide to doing 'what it says on the tin' - but, it is not
> just Fedora - it covers the hardware, broadband, IPCOP router, configuring
> apache, MailScanner, etc, etc.
>
> I realise that it is finished just in time for Fedora Core 11 to be released -
> so another version will quickly follow
>
> The book is not published yet, but I intend to use lulu.com, and using this
> method of publishing means that I already have a proof copy of the book, and
> can print more.
>
> I want Fedora to endorse the book, and the next version, and would like to add
> 'published with permission of the Fedora Project' etc
>
> How do I now go about this? I am happy to post a proof copy to anyone who can
> provide this endorsement. But to whom? and how do I obtain a name and address?
>
> I now need help to finalise the publication of this book. Can somebody on this
> list please help?

The Fedora Project doesn't endorse independent materials.  But you
don't need our permission to publish, as long as you are adhering to
our trademark guidelines, which are shown here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines

In particular, we have a section on publications, shown here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Publications

Basically, you don't need our permission to use screenshots, or
reference to our trademarks, as long as you follow those guidelines,
including the section on proper trademark use.  If you have any
specific questions as you read those, feel free to send them to
legal at fedoraproject.org.

Thanks for writing, and I'm also happy to answer any other questions
you send here to the list.