Moving Docs Project to Category:Docs Project

Susan Lauber laubersm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 20 19:25:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Eric Christensen
<eric at christensenplace.us> wrote:
> Does anyone have an opinion on moving the current Docs Project wiki
> page to Category:Docs Project?  It would allow a one stop shop,
> basically, but I don't really see it as a need.
>
> Thoughts?

At the moment I think there is too much stuff on Docs Project page to
just move it to the Category.  If it gets trimmed down and sub
category names are obvious about where to get more information then
sure...

I am more interested in seeing the Category:Docs Project cleaned up -
and especially if that is the "main" entry point.
It currently has 133 pages in it (and 28 subcategories).  I went
looking for the guides table so I could find a link to whatever I
reviewed for somebody and had to sift through a lot of noise.  There
are a lot of pages that are in sub categories AND the main category
that I think should just be in a sub category - a few meeting related
items, several events and hackfest notes, a bunch of guide pages (or
draft guide pages), and mostly the RN beats...

I would also like to see a name change to RH Beats - I don't think it
encourages enough outside contribution.  As I understand it the beats
name came when there are a writer patrolling and adding content for
that subject (beat).  That was also a time when the content stayed in
the wiki until the final move to be packaged.  Currently I think the
"beat writers" are writing in docbook directly and others can see that
with the regular draft builds and add to the notes with bug report,
email, or the wiki beats pages. So if the the wiki pages were RN
contributions or Release Notes Staging for <oldbeatname>  it might be
easier for a new contributor to find a place to add a paragraph about
the new features of their favorite app or updated package submission.

Those are some of my thoughts...

-Susan

--
Susan Lauber, (RHCX, RHCA, RHCSS)