Moving Docs Project to Category:Docs Project

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Sat Nov 21 04:25:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 19:17 -0600, Ian Weller wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 02:25:41PM -0500, Susan Lauber wrote:
> > At the moment I think there is too much stuff on Docs Project page to
> > just move it to the Category.  If it gets trimmed down and sub
> > category names are obvious about where to get more information then
> > sure...
> >
> > I am more interested in seeing the Category:Docs Project cleaned up -
> > and especially if that is the "main" entry point.
> > It currently has 133 pages in it (and 28 subcategories).  I went
> > looking for the guides table so I could find a link to whatever I
> > reviewed for somebody and had to sift through a lot of noise.  There
> > are a lot of pages that are in sub categories AND the main category
> > that I think should just be in a sub category - a few meeting related
> > items, several events and hackfest notes, a bunch of guide pages (or
> > draft guide pages), and mostly the RN beats...
> >
> +1 from the wiki czar. If confusion will increase (from anybody), don't
> do it.

So we clearly have an organizational problem.  I agree that there is way
too much stuff out there.  From a management point of view I literally
live off of the "Docs Project meetings" page.  I've almost made it a
dashboard of items that I need.  So I don't actually sift through much
of the other noise that's out there.  But if people can't find something
that is actually there then that's a problem.

If I were to clean up the Docs Project pages I'd want to go through the
Documentation category and clean it up/out.  If information has been
moved to Docbook then it can be archived.  Draft documentation needs to
be brought to light.  New people want something to do, here's a great
chance to get involved.  Docs Project category... what's even in there?
What do we really need in there?  What's missing?

I know... more questions, not enough answers.  If I can catch up on my
to do list I'll take a peek in there.

--Eric