Publican SRPMs in Fedora

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Nov 30 16:08:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 10:05 -0500, Eric Christensen wrote:
> Just wanted to point out that the current Publican build, 1.x, is
> creating SRPMs and spec files that are inline with the Fedora's
> packaging policy (using the --short_sighted mode).  I submitted[1] a
> package for the Fedora Accessibility Guide for review and it passed
> without batting an eye.  This should be helpful for other guides as
> well.

There is an advantage to "automatically" passing the package review.
But the Publican-generated packages are not consistent with the rest of
Fedora.  When a user logs on in Dutch, everything he sees is in Dutch,
until you install a Publican-generated document.  Now you either need to
wade through a menu choice per language, or only install one language
per machine.  This is inconsistent with the rest of Fedora.

Producing the RPM manually, as we do with the release notes, really
isn't a huge burden, but for consistency it would be a big win if
Publican would produce something that meshed nicely with the rest of
Fedora.

--McD