Self-Introduction of Mark Walker

Douglas Silas dhensley at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 18:26:05 UTC 2009

Welcome Mark!

Paul is right that we are looking for more contributors, and now is
a good time. I am spearheading a project to update the Deployment
Guide for Fedora 12, which is a book that might interest you. We are
definitely looking for good writers with networking experience; the
guide's second major part contains chapters on Network Interfaces,
Network Configuration, Service Access, OpenSSH, Samba, DHCP
(Servers), Apache, FTP, Email, and LDAP. The online copy lives here:

http://dsilas.fedorapeople.org/Deployment_Guide/en-US/html-single/

And the project page is here, along with a link to the mailing list:

https://fedorahosted.org/deploymentguide/

It is not necessary to write in DocBook XML to contribute, though of
course you would be welcome to. The Deployment Guide (and probably
the other DocBook projects) currently adhere to DocBook 4.5, which
is DTD-based instead of Relax NG-based (theoretically unfortunate, I
agree, but turns out to matter little in practice). We use the
Publican publishing tool to build the documentation (I am testing
the much-faster Publican 1.0 beta for building the Deployment Guide,
and it's working well so far):

https://fedorahosted.org/publican/

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let us know! Hope
to see you on IRC on Wednesday.

Cheers,

Silas

--