Technical advisory opportunity

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 18:02:30 UTC 2009

Hi Fedora Docs team,

I was contacted by an editor for a well-known series of UNIX volumes
who asked me to check with the Docs team to see if there was anyone
interested in serving as a technical assistant for their upcoming book
that in part covers Fedora 12.  It's a for-fee job.

I don't want to clog the list with "me too" messages, so please
respond to me off-list.  I'll forward all names I receive by COB
Friday, September 25th to the editor for action, and note them here to
the list as well for transparency.

Here are the skills, abilities, and knowledge you'll need to do the
job:

* Access to a pre-Fedora 12 (Rawhide) system, staying current with
  updates

* RHCE certification, or an equivalent level of skill -- that is,
  skill in most pieces of the Fedora platform -- is helpful

* A significant amount of spare time to fact-check all the relevant
  chapters, usually a few at a time

* The ability to relay and revise information if something changes
  over the period of work

* Ability to work well and be accurate and thorough under pressure and
  strict time deadlines

* The ability to communicate clearly in English to other people on the
  team such as authors and editors

I've done technical editing on a book in the past, and it is a fairly
demanding part-time job that requires several weeks of detail-oriented
reading, testing, note-taking, and communication with the writers.  I
don't think I could have done it alongside my tasks in a release cycle
at the time, but I happened to come into a project during downtime
after a release so everything worked out OK.  Fortunately, it can be
very rewarding if you enjoy the subject matter.

I look forward to hearing from any interested folks off-list.