Tools for writers

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Sun Jan 3 15:35:42 UTC 2010

>From time to time I have made odd little tools to help me as a beat
writer.  I've begun putting these at github:

http://github.com/jjmcd/FedoraDox/tree/master/tools

These aren't ready for prime time by any means, but putting them in
github allows anyone to look at the code, steal ideas, etc. without
having to mess around installing the sources etc.  github allows you to
browse the sources on the web, or download them with git.

Currently there are two: my old checkBeat app and the newer
doc-publican-rpm.  I will add others as they occur to me.

Because there is a pretty burning need, I am working on packaging
doc-publican-rpm (although it would be much preferred for Publican to
include this capability).  doc-publican-rpm makes a multilanguage rpm
from a Publican document.  Currently Publican will package a language,
but it creates a separate menu entry for every language.
doc-publican-rpm selects the language based on the user's login
language, and the user sees only one menu entry for the document, and
that menu entry is in his local language.

checkBeat is used for beat writers to check for changes in their beat.
It takes a certain amount of fiddling around to use, but it can be a
time saver if your beat includes many packages.

--McD