FDP Logo

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 12:26:09 UTC 2005

Howdy fellow Disco Ducks,

Since anything of this nature would likely be a FDSCo decision, this
seems like the right list.

Yesterday on IRC I brought up the idea of a logo for FDP.  This logo
would serve to brand our documentation, as part of an HTML or PDF
rendering of our files for online or print use.  It would also be great
to have one ready for a menu entry for an RPM package that we would one
day ship in Extras for our documentation.

Tommy Reynolds miraculously googled up a fedora hat that is license-
unencumbered.  The artist has it in the public domain, meaning we can
make a derivative work and GPL it.  I don't think the idea of "any
picture of a red fedora" should be a problem.  For instance, the
Bluecurve main menu icon (a little red fedora) is GPL.  I can derive
stuff from that work, but I can't call it "Bluecurve."

Anyway, I played with it just a bit and got the "newsie" feel I was
looking for.  I am not quite happy with the text, for no other reason
than it's not well-aligned with the curvature of the slip of paper in
the hatband.  I knew *zero* about SVG before yestreday afternoon but I
am in love with it already, so if anyone out there can help me with this
issue in Sodipodi, I'd appreciate it.  Feel free to mail me off-list.
But it does satisfy some basic requirements for a nice logo:

 * It's scalable, and useful at even very small sizes (thanks, SVG!)
 * It's uncomplicated.
 * It's iconic.
 * It's "branded" with "FDP."

Most importantly, once the text on it is fixed to curve nicely, it will
look great on t-shirts, mugs, wall clocks, your bicep, your kids'
lunchboxes, the banners flying over the... oops, sorry, got ahead of
myself there.  Anyway, check it out:

  http://paul.frields.org/images/red_fedora_fdp.png
  http://paul.frields.org/images/red_fedora_fdp.svg

Hope you enjoy it, comments appreciated.