CVS usage guidelines

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 16:55:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 16:54 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 09:37 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> > Uttered Stuart Ellis <s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk>, spake thus:
> >
> > > If somebody stumps up an actual piece
> > > of text then they've probably got the stick-at-it-ness to learn any
> > > technical skills they don't already have, and see the work through.
> > > Somebody without a real interest may disqualify themselves by simply not
> > > producing a draft, even when we don't impose any other barriers to
> > > entry.
> >
> > (I think the word you're looking for is "tenacity" ;-)
>
> My thesaurus gets Sundays off :)
>
> > If folk with coordinate their interest ("I wanna write a document about
> > FOO") and then provide a draft document that is *peer reviewed* on the
> > list, then if an editor is willing to clean up the text, only then
> > should CVS be activated.
> >
> > This doesn't seem to be setting the bar too high.  Actually participating in the activity should be the entry qualification more than good intentions.
>
> I've amended the Process Flow section of the Wiki page to make this
> proposal more concrete.
>
> Doing that I realised that we don't have sections for:
>
> a) Removing CVS access (by request of the contributor, or without it).
> b) Transferring maintainership of documents in CVS.
>
> To keep versioning clean I've just edited for the suggestion I gave.

I really like what you added, Stuart.  I did have two minor
clarifications:

1. Keep FDSCo involved in the proposal acceptance process to arbitrate
list disagreements.  In other words, if there's no list consensus on a
doc, the FDSCo should make the call.
2. Initial drafts should be submitted via hyperlink (not email
attachment) to the list -- this one's just a very minor clarification.

Wiki changes made to support these suggestions.