CVS now open

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 11:57:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 09:51 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:44:28 -0700, "Karsten Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
> said:
>
> > ## Quick Version of How To Get CVS Access:
> >
> > * Read the CVSAccess guidelines Wiki page[1]
> > * Do a proper self-introduction to the list
> > * Show that you have something to put in CVS:  as an editor by picking
> > something to edit, as a writer through producing a draft or working
> > outline
> > * Use the proper process[2] to get an account on cvs.fedora.redhat.com
> > [3].  Put yourself in the 'cvsdocs' group and wait for approval.
> >
> > [1] http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/CvsUsage
> > [2] http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/CvsAccess
> > [3] https://admin.fedora.redhat.com/accounts/
> >
> > This all presumes you have read the Documentation Quick Start[4] and are
> > familiar with the Fedora Project Documentation Guide[5].  Don't worry
> > about the DocBook/XML stuff right now. :)
> >
> > [4] http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-quick-start/
> > [5] http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/
>
> I think that it's worth having a separate checklist for new writers, as
> there is now a fair number of steps here, initially to self introduce
> and then to prepare for working in CVS.

That sounded to me quite a bit like "I am writing a separate checklist
for new writers."  ;-)  I think that's a fine idea.  The checklist
should not duplicate material from the other pages, just link them as
needed.  What you're suggesting -- very astutely, I might add -- is that
for new people there's an awful lot of guidelines scattered around...
where to start?

The wiki would be a good place for it right now, since that is where we
are gathering all the ideas for the next-gen Documentation Guide.
Karsten can link it on the f.r.c Docs Project front page when done.

The DocGuide will eventually be one-stop shopping for everything FDP,
and will have an entire <part> dedicated to walking a new writer very
gently through getting started, from subscribing to the mailing list to
learning how to use tools like CVS and DocBook.  I would imagine that
when the DocGuide-v2 is ready, the wiki will eventually devolve to a
scratch pad and testing zone, which is just how it should be IMHO.

For the page, I would suggest:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/NewWriters

I've linked this from the wiki DocsProject front page prominently and
attached your name.  Grat idea, roll with it!