Install Guide HTML

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 14:31:25 UTC 2005

After sending this to Elliot and cc'ing Karsten and Stuart, I realized
the FDSCo list was a better destination.  Read on...

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 18:00 -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2005, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > We have the Install Guide pretty much "camera ready," per the FDSCo
> > meeting today.  Karsten wants to give it a quick cover2cover read before
> > we let it go, but we are wondering if we will be able to include a
> > nochunk HTML version on the ISO images.  Are we too late for the final
> > spin?  This would be *super* helpful to have on the disc if possible.
>
> Besides putting the docs in an RPM package that goes onto the installed
> system, we don't really have a good way to include additional docs on the
> CDs, and it will take a bit of work to retrofit the releng tools. Given
> the other stuff that needs attention, it's just too late.
>
> Please make sure it gets on the plate early on in the FC5 devel cycle
> though - there's nothing inherently unreasonable about the request...

OK, I understand.  Originally we just wanted a single .html file in the
root of disc1, but I realized after I sent the email that whatever we
wanted to include, it should probably be done as part of the automated
{re,}spin, which means some work to integrate.  We will revisit this
issue for FC4 and simply make sure the release notes point to the f.r.c
web site for the installation guide.

I'm cc'ing Karsten to make sure that the release notes point prominently
at the f.r.c copy of the installation guide, which should exist by the
time the ISO's are out.