IRC log, 17 May 2005

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 21:38:55 UTC 2005

This is the first in a series of emails to document old meetings and
make sure the wiki references have antecedents. :-)

= = = = =

<meeting>
<quaid>	so, yeah, considering the time-to-release for FC4, that should
be most of our time today in discussing anything related to that
<quaid>	to start about the release notes:
<quaid>	1. I haven't done any PR this last week, things are the same as
they were ... small team.
<quaid>	2. As many of us as can help in anyway, please do, that will
define what quality and quantity we can do in this time frame
<quaid>	3. This will all be better for FC5test1 :)
<quaid>	4. I did this to help in collaboration:
<quaid>	4.1 created bz account for relnotes at fedoraproject.org ... you
all can watch that email address (bz.r.c -> account > email and watch
that email addy)
<quaid>	4.2 this addy will go right to a pre-filled bz ticket for
filling in any release notes http://tinyurl.com/73qe
<quaid>	when a ticket is filled out, relnotes@ gets notice, that comes
to me (as the so-far single person on that list), and anyone watching it
sees it to.
<tcf>	quaid: what do you mean by clean up, do you mean HTML or editing?
<quaid>	the tickets are set to block a single master tracker bug, and
the dependency tree shows all open bugs, so we don't lose stuff and have
somewhere to discuss with developers
<quaid>	tcf: clean up?
<tcf>	quaid: you asked me about
http://people.redhat.com/sundaram/fedora_notes.html right before you
opened the meeting
<tcf>	quaid: feel free to table that until later
<quaid>	yeah, let'
<tcf>	np, sorry to interrupt ;-)
<quaid>	let's table it for a minute, it's related but not as high a
priority
<quaid>	5. next me (and Sopwith and others) will start bugging all
Fedora developers to use that tinyurl to fill out anything they want
included.
<quaid>	6. I will keep a latest version of the relnotes at
f.r.c/docs/beta for reference
<quaid>	7. I will get the relnotes module in CVS right after this
meeting.
<quaid>	so ... if anyone can help, you want to take one or more relnotes
beats and watch the bug traffic for something that lands in that
purview.
<-- ideal
<quaid>	alt is to do it as ASCII files and I will meld them together at
the final.
<quaid>	just so we don't have to learn the special DocBook tags that
create HTML that Anaconda can render.
<G2>	What's the deadline for the relnotes again?
</>
<quaid>	comments?
<quaid>	30 May at the latest
<stickster>	quaid: re: RelNotes, were you already aware of the
"non-optimal" HTML rendering in the FC4t3 release in Firefox, or does
that matter given Rahul's effort to make a more generic PR page?
<quaid>	so, 29 May to give me a day to clean up
<Sopwith>	Remember May 30 is memorial day Monday
<elliss>	Suggestion: could you file a sample XML file in the CVS
module ?
<quaid>	stickster: I was not aware, did it suck?
<stickster>	ugly fixed-font
<quaid>	stickster: and that is hard to say, depends on our efforts to
get mether's changes included
<quaid>	ah
<stickster>	no biggie
<stickster>	I can BZ it
<quaid>	elliss: we might have to, but I didn't want to give us another
hurdle.
<elliss>	It was really for the benefit of dull people like me
<quaid>	well, it's the right way, let's try it out
<quaid>	the only thing is
<quaid>	if it makes broken HTML that doesn't render, we don't have a
test left to fool around on.
<quaid>	so I may still docbook2txt and put that in instead, if we have
to.
<quaid>	stickster: don't bother with the bz, I'll close it WONTFIX :)
<stickster>	:-) k
<quaid>	i.e., the objective is to move beyond the text
<quaid>	the fact is, we may get super low input in the next week
<quaid>	meaning that taking on some of the relnotes beats could be zero
to little work.
<quaid>	Sopwith: what are the chances that we can get mether's new
Firefox default page in for FC4?
<quaid>	the idea is to have a Fedorafied version ASAP, if possible.
<Sopwith>	quaid: The default page has historically been the relnotes. We
can definitely make the default page be anything you want.
<Sopwith>	I dunno if you want to make mether's page be the intro to the
relnotes, or have two separate pages linked to each other, or what.
<quaid>	Sopwith: this all came from a discussion on f-devel-l
<quaid>	no, just to have a "friendlier" portal page with some marketing
foo about how awesome the release is, then links to valuable info
locally and out-there
<stickster>	Including the FDP ;-)
<quaid>	yep :)
<quaid>	Sopwith: but I see what you are saying ... I could effect the
change by putting mether's page in to start the relnotes, instead of
forcing the firefox package to change.
<Sopwith>	oh, we wouldn't change the firefox package for sure.
<quaid>	well, how is that default page set?
<stickster>	Actually, it woudl be the indexhtml package I think... or is
that no longer true?
<Sopwith>	stickster: That's now part of the fedora-release package
<stickster>	Sopwith: ah, right
<quaid>	ok, so that one is easier to change?
<Sopwith>	quaid: We'd change the contents of the default page without
changing the URL of the default page.
<Sopwith>	Right now we create the default index.html file by HTMLifying
the relnotes.
<Sopwith>	It can be whatever you want :0
<quaid>	yeah but ... then Anaconda would show that page in the sidebar,
right?
<lang> I believe)
<stickster>	Is the fedora-release package built out of the /cvs/fedora
module?
<Sopwith>	yes, from the fedora-release module.
<stickster>	That was my only question, hope no one's waiting for a