HOWTO: Accessing re-organized Fedora Docs CVS

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Tue May 10 20:56:51 UTC 2005

Greetings, Folks!

To make life simpler, we have reorganized the CVS setup for Fedora
Docs.  Previously, there was one big "module" called "fedora-docs".
You checked that out of CVS and you had the all the documents from
the entire project.  While you could check out just the part you were
interested in, doing so was clumsy.  Adding a new document was
equally awkward.

With the CVS changes now in place, each document forms its own CVS
module and can be checked out individually.  Everything that used to
be in the "fedora-docs/" directory is now a top-level module.

1) To see which modules exist (assuming that your $CVSROOT
   environment variable is properly set):

	cvs co -c

2) How do you access an existing document?

   First, create a working directory.  A "fedora-docs/" directory
   isn't created automatically, so make:

   	a) yourself a playpen; and then
	b) get the overhead doc modules; and then
	c) and then get the document you want.

   Here is now it goes together:

   	$ mkdir my-docs
	$ cd my-docs
	$ cvs co docs-setup
	$ cvs co developer-guide

   Note that the "docs-setup" actually gets three modules for you:
   "common", "stylesheet-images", and "xsl".  You need these for any
   document you visit.

   Since each document you get from CVS can share a single "common/",
   "stylesheet-images/" and "xsl/" directory, you only need to do
   this once regardless of how many documents you work on
   simultaneously.

3) How do I begin a new document?

   Much the same was as you do an existing document.  You still need
   the "docs-setup" module, described in the previous section.
   Create a new directory for your new document and away you go.  A
   good technique is to use an existing document as a model:

   	$ mkdir my-new-document
   	$ cd my-new-document
   	$ cvs co docs-setup
   	$ cvs co -d my-material example-tutorial
   	$ rm -rf my-material/CVS

   Be sure to remove the CVS directory from your new document's
   working area ("my-material/CVS" in our example) because your
   document has not been added to the Fedora CVS system yet.

4) How do I get my document into the Fedora CVS system?

   Sign up for CVS access!

   If you have followed the instructions above, you can add your
   document to the Fedora CVS easily. Rename your working directory,
   just to be safe, import your document into CVS, and the check out
   the "official" verion of your document.

   Continuing our previous example:

	$ mv my-material my-material-orig
	$ cd my-material-orig
	$ cvs import my-material <my-name> "initial"
	$ cd ..
	$ cvs co my-material

   Notice that we renamed the working copy to "my-material-orig", and
   then imported that using the "real" name of "my-material": this is
   the new module name for your document.  Compare its contents with
   that of your original "my-material-orig" directory to ensure its
   correctness.  Feel free to delete your "my-material-orig"
   directory whenever you wish or keep it forever - your choice.

   The Fedora CVS administrator will add an entry into the official
   "modules" listing for you, so you should be see your new document
   in the "cvs co -c" listing very soon.