HOWTO: Accessing re-organized Fedora Docs CVS

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue May 10 21:42:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 16:29 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>, spake thus:
>
> > How can we make it so that doing a 'cvs up' to a module will make also
> > grab the latest from the docs-setup group?
> >
> > >    Since each document you get from CVS can share a single "common/",
> > >    "stylesheet-images/" and "xsl/" directory, you only need to do
> > >    this once regardless of how many documents you work on
> > >    simultaneously.
> >
> > If it's automagically included, can we drop even the first cvs co docs-
> > setup?
>
> I'm not really sure that we want the automagic updating.  Especially
> for newbies, I think the principal of least surprise is in order
> here.
>
> After all, unless they are missing a new entity definition, it
> doesn't matter that much what is in their local information; they
> can't change it anyway.  Perhaps adding a suggestion about updating
> the commons before anything more than a "checkpoint" checkin would be
> enough.
>
> I'm OK with the other surgery, though.

"Least surprise" == "everything works."  That means, to me, that I (the
hypothetical "new contributor") shouldn't have to remember to get
changes in the CSS, xsl, etc. -- all of which have incorporated changes
several times over just the last year, for instance -- to get the latest
and greatest build tools, styles, etc. as "approved" by the FDP.

Keep in mind that we need contributors to benefit from stuff in a
"scripts" directory, the Doc Guide tutorial, and many other things we
haven't even projected yet.  By indirectly pointing to that stuff with a
"shared" module, or one of a selection of "shared"-type modules (see
previous e-mail), we cut down on the amount of help we're going to have
to deal out on list traffic later.  This is why Extras has set this up
as well.