HOWTO: Accessing re-organized Fedora Docs CVS

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Tue May 10 21:58:11 UTC 2005

Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:

> shared			xsl common stylesheet-images css scripts
>
> my-module		my-module shared
>

> Let's keep in mind the usability aspect.  When someone does a "cvs up,"
> they should receive any updates to css, xsl, etc.  The method above
> assures that, and knocks out the requirement to separately download
> supporting stuff.  By diverting all the supporting modules into
> "shared," any changes to anything *in* "shared" (including adding
> another dir later) will automatically come down to people running "cvs
> up".  Is there a reason this is not acceptable?

I object to having [potentially] several copies of the common stuff
under each document.

As long as common directories are peers of the working document (read
that as "../common") you are going to need a separate "cvs update"
command because there is no longer a "CVS/" peer directory to them
for one-stop-shopping.

Either we stay with the current setup, or we go in and do surgery so
that documents expect the common stuff as subdirectories.

Since it's a style issue, I don't feel justified in saying one is
technologically better than another although for a software development
project I know what I'd choose.  Just pick one and let the edits fall
where they may.

Cheers!