Submission: Home Server Setup Guide

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Sat Sep 3 11:54:01 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 07:30 +0400, Miles Brennan wrote:

> G'day to all,
>
> As Karsten queried a few weeks earlier, yes I’m one of those lurking,
> too busy at the moment, don't know where to begin, never used CVS and
> not sure what to do - classic post and you caught me out ;)
>
> Over the new year break I wrote the 'Linux Home Server HOWTO'
> (http://www.brennan.id.au).
>
> It is a complete HOWTO for setting up a Linux gateway server connected
> to the Internet and providing network resources to the internal
> workstations (MS/Linux). Firewall/Samba/DNS/NTP/FTP guides etc...
>
> It was originally written for FC3 so some of it may need a little
> tweaking as I haven't yet updated it. However it is a complete HOWTO, 20
> chapters in all (~180 pages when printed).
>
> I now offer it for comment / criticism / appraisal / submission.
>
> I would prefer to keep the content / concept complete if possible, but
> open to suggestions.
>
> BTW, hello list :)

If you haven't looked this, please do.

I've looked through the Guide, and in all seriousness I think that it
would be a *major* step forward if we could integrate this material.
Questions on how to setup routing, mail, Web, FTP and other basic
functions appear so regularly that it's clear that providing this
information would be of service to a great many users.

There's clearly overlaps with sections in this guide and other more
specialized documents we have or are expecting (such as Peter Boy's
Samba tutorial), and we would need to consider how to resolve that
satisfactorily. It would also require an editing effort to make it
compliant with our documentation standards.

That said, we've just been offered a complete book written to a pretty
good technical standard, and it would take many months for the FDP to
build up such broad coverage of these topics. I feel that we ought to
pursue this offer vigorously.

I'm posting this to FDSCo rather than replying to the OP immediately
because mentoring the author and resolving the issues of integrating it
will require some effort on the part of more than one person.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA