FDSCo IRC log 18 July 2006

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Jul 22 15:29:25 UTC 2006

<quaid>  <meeting>
<ghenry>	yo
<[splinux]>	What do you think about rewriting desktop guide for fedora 6
release?
<quaid>	heck, how about we just write it in the first place!
<stickster>	quaid: +1
<stickster>	quaid: Did you have an agenda for today other than the wiki?
<quaid>	[splinux]: it was never moved from Draft, but, yes, sounds like
a great idea.  How can we help?
<quaid>	stickster: I forgot what the wiki agenda item was
<quaid>	and the real answer is, no
<quaid>	oh, one thing was meeting times, a review to see if we can
accommodate megacoder's evening hours PDT requirement
<[splinux]>	quaid: I'm not an english or american man, if you or other
guy could review my pages, it'll be great
<quaid>	ah, an editor assignment is needed!
<Eitch>	I'm here now
<[splinux]>	hi Eitch
<[splinux]>	#docs you're welcome ;-)
<Eitch>	[splinux]: did you ask on fedora-docs-list about help on the
desktop guide?
<[splinux]>	no
<Eitch>	I'm a bit busy with release-notes now... and the gaming reviews
(just stopped last week because I was travelling)
<Eitch>	[splinux]: ask for an editor there, maybe someone will step on
<quaid>	[splinux]: we can ask for editor help, but maybe first we can
try to get the other writers involved again
<[splinux]>	yeah good idea, thans :)
<stickster>	quaid: +1 again
<quaid>	[splinux]: IMO, there needs to be more there for an editor to
work with ... that is, anyone can step in and correct some grammar right
now, and that is helpful ... but it would be better for an editor to see
it as a whole, instead of different pieces.
<[splinux]>	 yeah
<quaid>	stickster: so, what was that wiki agenda item?
<quaid>	I think we're having a little FDSCo dis-jointed-ness, which is
normal for us :)
<stickster>	You mean the wiki-related one?
<quaid>	aye
<stickster>	Hmm
<stickster>	Don't really remember either... Did it have to do with
unfreeze and test3?
<quaid>	what I think is hot right now is whatever we have to do for the
test2 ISO.
<quaid>	that is, meetings around releases tend to become working
affairs :)
<quaid>	more tactical, less strategic
<quaid>	one question:
<quaid>	do we include PO from i18n.r.c that is not completely
translated?
<quaid>	in the past we've said yes, but I don't know how the trans tools
handle that
<quaid>	we've also said no in the past, but I think test notes are a
possibly different rule.
<stickster>	If it's not completely trans'd, the worst that happens on
our end is US English bits mixed in
<quaid>	yep
<quaid>	aalamS: not sure how you do it for the OS strings ...
<quaid>	aalamS: but we can take the PO that are even partially
translated
Jul 18 13:30:56 *	stickster is back and forth between this channel and
getting f-relnotes packaging ready with f13
<quaid>	right, like I said, a working party during release
Jul 18 13:31:40 *	quaid sends email about meeting time change ideas
Jul 18 13:34:43 *	quaid sends the same content to aalamS via email
<stickster>	How are we looking for getting the PO back from A S?
Jul 18 13:37:58 -->	MrTomLapy
(n=mrtom at i05m-87-90-247-108.d4.club-internet.fr) has joined #fedora-Docs
<stickster>	Heh... lag
<stickster>	I think my previous work for packaging is, largely, a waste
of time
<stickster>	I think we'd be better off adopting the "commit the spec"
model like the rest of Fedora
<stickster>	We could just put in @VERSION@ et al. flags like you
normally see for .in files ,and fill with XSLT/sed
<stickster>	See release-notes/devel/Makefile for a model
<f13>	stickster: whats a waste of time?
<stickster>	The stuff I tried to provide in Makefile.common last year
<stickster>	well, from then until earlier this year
<stickster>	It was somewhat clever but largely misguided
<stickster>	Or was that the other way around?
<stickster>	Well, at least it made me learn XSLT
<f13>	ah ok.
<f13>	stickster: so will you hurt me if I ask you to add support for %
dist and %fedora tags?  (:
<stickster>	There's a lot we can derive from our XML, but frankly RPM
changelogs should not be one of them.
<stickster>	f13: *BANG*
<stickster>	*flump*
<f13>	s'ok.
<f13>	this package really doesn't need them.
<f13>	does 'make tag' pull from the spec for a tag version?
<stickster>	MMmm... nope
<stickster>	But I should be able to get that from Extras or Core CVS,
yes?
<stickster>	i.e. copy the targets and check to make sure we have any
other necessitites
<stickster>	"necessitite" -- magnetic material sometimes found in
Make-fu
<quaid>	uh, I hear some stuff I need to check, either brb or will ask
stickster to close meeting ...
<stickster>	In that case, we're done
Jul 18 13:50:44 *	stickster needs to run to next meeting
<stickster>	Any objections?
<stickster>	5
<stickster>	4
<stickster>	3
<stickster>	2
<stickster>	1
<stickster>     </meeting>
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project