IRC log 03-Oct-2006

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 01:16:58 UTC 2006

I entered late and had a network interrupt, so things got "officially"
started late ... here is where I think it heated up ...

<f13> Eitch: basically all we need currently is just mirror files for
the core6 stuff.
<f13> Eitch: hrm, strange, I thought we got that taken care of it.
<Eitch> me too :)
<quaid> arrgh
<Eitch> I'm right now late for the release-notes translation... doing it
right now
<quaid> NetworkManager silently died on me
<f13> quaid: so play silent taps
<quaid> wish I had time to learn irssi more faster
<quaid> anyway,what I said and received strange silence ... because I
was offline ...
<megacoder> Let not your heart be troubled; just a few echoing footsteps
now and then.
<quaid> yeah, I was going to see if we just wanted to chat, etc.
<quaid> anything we want to discuss from
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee/TaskSchedule ?
<megacoder> quaid, I'm developing a script that will compare the old/new
RPM repos and generate a table that includes the package name, old
version, new version, and the changelog differences.  Too late for FC6,
but maybe useful in FC7 et. al.
<quaid> megacoder: yeah, that's the last thing I saw, sounds great
<quaid> megacoder: have you seen the treediff tool?
<quaid> I can send it to ya
<f13> megacoder: um, you mean like treediff2.py that is now public?
<quaid> there we go
<megacoder> yeah.  that's why I started on my own.
<f13> http://people.redhat.com/jkeating/treediff2.py
<quaid> there we go
<f13> megacoder: why rewrite?
<quaid> f13: is treediff on e.g. porkchop the same tool?
<f13> quaid: yes
<f13> may not be the latest cvs rev of it, but the same tool
<quaid> cool
<f13> the same tool that is used for the nightly rawhide reports (minus
the broken dep stuff)
<megacoder> f13, 1) python; 2) anything you can do I can do better ;-);
3) boredom
<megacoder> Mostly #3
<f13> uh huh.
<f13> python, as in you don't like python?
<quaid> megacoder: ah ha!
<quaid> let's not let you get bored or nothing
<quaid> good lords and ladies, there is not an active TommyReynolds task
on the menu
<megacoder> Imagine my surprise!
--> aalam (n=aalam at 59.94.208.234) has joined #fedora-docs
<quaid> megacoder: want to rewrite the i18n.r.c tools on cvs.fp.org?
<quaid> :)
<megacoder> Know nothing about it.  Whazzat?
* quaid rubs his hands together
<quaid> http://i18n.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-status
* megacoder is starting to regret miscellaneous stuff
* Eitch wants somethings to do too (after the release-notes, of course)
<quaid> that is the user side, right?
<quaid> it sits on the trans cvs (i18n.r.c == elvis.r.c), and we want to
migrate the CVS to cvs.fp.o and get the tool working
<quaid> Fedora Infrastructure is nominally in charge, but I'm sure
they'd take the help here
<megacoder> Where can I find the pieces?
<quaid> I have to dig around to get the current code ... it's all OK'd
to be GPL'd, or is already ...
<megacoder> I'll review it when you can find it...
<quaid> To your other question, Karsten, as to what Elliot and his team
needs to
<quaid> know, nothing really, that you couldn't read out of the code. A
lot of
<quaid> it, as people will surely realize, is a bit hacky, parts have
been
<quaid> copied and pasted, and adapted, instead of things having been
done
<quaid> properly, merely because it needed to happen quickly. And, of
course,
<quaid> it's all undocumented. I'm happy to answer any questions, even
walk
<quaid> someone through, if there should be someone willing to take it
over, and
<quaid> it surely requires some cleanup. It's all in perl. Where I
needed to use
<quaid> python, I've embedded the python code into perl. What I got
stuck on was
<quaid> that the fedora authentication somehow dropped my cgi
parameters, and I
<quaid> therefore couldn't proceed after authentication.
<quaid> that's from Bernd Groh, who wrote it all mainly
<quaid> so I haven't seen it but I should be able to get a tarball
pretty quickly
<quaid> I'd suggest to get someone to solve the remaining
<quaid> issues of the integration of the new version with the fedora
account
<quaid> system (I believe all that's not working is that the fedora
<quaid> authetication drops the cgi params of the status pages when
<quaid> authenticating), and finally migrate.
* quaid apologizes for the lack of delimeters
* megacoder read that first as a lack of "dementors"
<quaid> and I'm done flooding ... the part "I'd suggest ... finally
migrate." is bgroh
<quaid> well, delimiter
<megacoder> Not too keen on perl either; still, I'll look it over.
<quaid> eh, it might  need to be rewritten in Python anway
<quaid> :D
* megacoder waits for tcl/tk to be mentioned
<quaid> *snort*
* megacoder can't imagine what's up quaid's nose
<quaid> it was even funnier when I tried to explain to my 5.5 year old
why I laughed at a tcl/tk joke
<quaid> just the name "tickle-teekay" makes me laugh
<quaid> megacoder: heck, let's rebuild the thing in RoR or what!
* megacoder holds out for 1401 autocoder
<quaid> megacoder: I'm going to add a 'research' task for you then, to
look into what up and what to do and what you recommend and _you'll_ be
willing to do :)
<megacoder> Didn't say "no"; just didn't promise it would stay in
perl/python ;-)
<quaid> Eitch: for post-FC6, are you looking for something like ...
leading our effort to fix all the process and technical problems betwen
Fedora Trans and Fedora Docs? :)
<quaid> megacoder: +1 as long as Fedora Infrastructure OKs it ... maybe
we should talk on their list.
<megacoder> quaid, I'm awaiting further evidence before I make any more
snide remarks.
--> sonargal (n=aglaser at ip70-174-58-25.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined
#fedora-docs
<-- sonargal has quit (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer))
<quaid> ok, I got what we needed from bgroh
<quaid> I'll a'tar it
<-- dartmolx has quit (Remote closed the connection)
<Eitch> a good idea
<Eitch> there are much inconsistency on it :D
--> snowlet (i=snowlet at nat/redhat/x-83aa638ad1c201f6) has joined
#fedora-docs
<quaid> megacoder: tarball coming, "only" 130K compressed :P
* megacoder taps foot
<quaid> Eitch: agreed, and I haven't had the time to do it right
<quaid> Eitch: you know most/all the people involved, can use me to get
things moving that aren't (like the CVS move, etc.)
<quaid> ok, if you like the idea, I'll add that task for you to pursue
--> dartmolx (n=dartmolx at 203.177.56.98) has joined #fedora-docs
<quaid> is two weeks enough time for both of you for some status back to
this meeting/group?
<Eitch> I liked
<megacoder> suits me
<Eitch> two weeks is good, I'll report two times, first week and second
week :)
<-- aalam has quit (Remote closed the connection)
<quaid> megacoder: on a related note, can I also draw you in to help
with whatever we need to do for the CVS migration?
<megacoder> yup
<quaid> coolio
<quaid> hey, a successful meeting despite myself!
* quaid moves self and sick child to where the movie is about to be
watched
<quaid> brb
<quaid> back
<quaid> ok, then, might as well ask
<megacoder> what movie?
<quaid> AOB?
<quaid> I'll put aside BobJensen-Away's item for next week
<megacoder> nob from me
<quaid> okee
<quaid> <meeting/>
<-- megacoder has quit ("I Worship His Shadow.")
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project