Thanks for answering the roll call. And now, a question.

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 20:27:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Steve Hargadon wrote:

> They aren't using Linux thin client for a couple of reasons.  First,
> they are purchasing new, Dell and whitebox PCs for under $300, and
> they get the benefit of thick-client usage.  They use Ardence mostly
> to stream down the full OS to each PC.  According to some
> conversations I've had with Mike, they haven't felt that LTSP would
> give them the functionality that they want, and didn't see a huge
> price savings.
>
> However, that may now be changing.  One of their most difficult
> hurdles is that the full PC generate a lot of heat, and they have to
> upgrade the air conditioning in the school buildings--and that's
> turning out to be a problem.  Using some low-watt thin-clients may be
> the answer for them.
>
> They are also experiencing some difficulties with Ardence.  They were
> bought by Citrix, which is owned by Microsoft.  I've been in contact
> with Mike from fl_TeacherTool, as he has visited a site in Canada that
> is running thick-client streaming full FLOSS.  Seems like this might
> be a good option for them as well.

/me hrms.

So it seems like we've got a number of factors to consider, all of which
seem to point to different approaches:

* Power consumption / Green-ness.  Favors thin client.

* Cost.  Favors thin client, but only slightly.

* Functionality.  Favors thick client in multimedia situations.

* Red Hat's ability to deliver.  Frankly, we're better able to deliver a
thick client right now from a technology perspective.  Packaging and
supporting K12LTSP is not our strength... at least not yet.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager