Fedora and LTSP Development

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 05:48:14 UTC 2007

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Will this be focusing on the integration of LTSP version 4.2 or the version 5?  From
> what I understand the newest version of 5 is more platform agnostic and will help in
> future development of LTSP, but that it does not scale well at this point since it is
> early in its life where the 4.2 version is much more refined.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

It would be a dead end to integrate LTSP 4.2 into Fedora.

LTSP 4.2 can remain the proven existing solution published by
k12ltsp.org until LTSP 5.0 is refined and fully integrated in Fedora.
The latter with time can become the replacement for k12ltsp.org, but
until then, existing production users are better served by the proven
software.

At the moment however we have trouble with higher priorities within
Fedora (like the merge), and we need more volunteers to help with LTSP
5.0 for Fedora if we are to make any progress in the near-term.

Eric Harrison has already did lots of the hacking to get 5.0 working on
Fedora, but does not seem to have time to attempt integration of that in
Fedora or ask for help from other Fedora contributors.  That would be a
good place to start if someone wants to help.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com