[Fedora-electronic-lab-list] Re: [herb-developers-list] herb : alliance patches, icons, desktop files and little tweaks

Mukund Sivaraman muks at banu.com
Tue Feb 10 01:12:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 11:31:16PM +0100, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> I was introduced to herb yesterday at FOSDEM by one of its developers.
> I support the initiative since alliance development has stalled for
> more than a year. However I would appreciate TCL/Tk support instead of
> GTK/QT for the reasons I've mentioned in:
> https://www-asim.lip6.fr/wws/arc/alliance-users/2009-02/msg00006.html

I have replied to this in a different post. Jan probably has his
viewpoint too. I feel that the choices we have made would put Herb in a
better position in the long run than aligning with one language.

> Like I propose to Mukund, here are all my patches:
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/alliance/devel/

Use git to clone the herb repository. Then look at all the files you
have in a checkout. It lacks files such as "configure" which will be
generated by the autotools build system. Your patches should be made
against such a maintainer-clean repository HEAD.

 * The desktop files are the most useful. We should import them into
   our repo as .in files.

 * We should ask the Tango artists if they are willing to make us nice
   icons for the GUI programs. But it's not a priority.

 * alliance-examples will be separated into different modules.

 * alliance-generic.patch looks interesting. Can you explain what it
   does semantically and why it's necessary?

 * ALLIANCE_TOP and the environment variables will most likely go away.

As I've written to you in a different email, a lot of this build system
is going to be reorganized soon as a part of the code cleanup. Paths
are going to change, configure.ac is going to get rewritten. So many of
these patches may not be necessary anymore. Please give it some time
and once things stabilize, you will be able to make a package out of it
again and check if these patches are relevant.

Some of the planned changes are to make the package maintainer's life
easy such as using standard locations for shared data, moving to using
rc files from environment variables (no more shell scripts to source),
etc.

> You will also find some icons and desktop files for the kde/gnome menu
> structured by gEDA's developer PeterB/C "electronics-menu" (which is
> default on fedora). I still need to find some time to push it to
> freedesktop developers as their specifications does not give
> electronics engineering applications its real value, but considers
> those tools as "education".
>
> With the following spec file, I create alliance rpms. The alliance
> values are sourced automatically.
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/alliance/devel/alliance.spec?view=markup

Can you modify this to be a Herb spec file? Again, the paths are going
to change until things stabilize, but maybe you can keep track of these
changes.

> I'm planning in the near future, but before F-11 release, to create a
> one/two page flyer for _all_ opensource EDA tools.

Herb will not have a stable release before Fedora 11. There is a *lot*
of work which remains to be done. We have to get there by working
together.

		Mukund