[Fedora-electronic-lab-list] Retire Alliance RPMS on non ILP32 platforms

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 16 21:37:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Thibault North wrote:
> Le Thursday, 12. February 2009 02:19:57 pm Mukund Sivaraman, vous avez écrit :
>> Hi Chitlesh
>>
>> I advise you to retire Alliance RPMS from non ILP32 distributions such
>> as x86_64. Alliance code has behavioural problems which manifest
>> themselves on such platforms. There are no compile-time warnings for
>> some of these issues, and tools can behave in a non-deterministic
>> manner.
>>
>> We are fixing these problems as we find them in Herb, but it will still
>> be a while before Herb releases are made.

Hello Mukund,

I would recommend you to give us some details about those behavioural
problems. A fedora contributor gladly offered me  access to his x86_64
machine via ssh. Based on your details, I could carry out the testing
and report back to you.

Since currently Alliance can be easily deployed and herb is not, i
think for you it would be better to use alliance as a testbed and port
eventual back to herb. FEL users can also report back or confirm
eventual issues since they can easily install it. In the long run, it
will help you optimize herb's state. At the same time, the sooner we
will have a herb release.

Kind regards,
Chitlesh