[Fedora-electronic-lab-list] Re: Getting Started with FEL

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 16 22:14:17 UTC 2009

On Saturday, Jeffrey Wilinski  wrote:
> Dear Chitlesh,
>
> I am impressed with the Fedora EL. So impressed in fact, that I would like
> to download and try it out. I need a little help to get started.
>
> Okay I have a spare hard drive to use that is 13meg. I know that is small
> but right now that is all that is available. I don't want to partition my
> main drive because it is too risky and all of my work is on there. I cannot
> afford to alter it.
>
> To use your lab, can you guide me on the basic steps to get started? Okay I
> know I need the lab program and a Fedora release. I can use GRUB to do a
> dual boot.
>
> What do you recommend for me to get started? For now, consider me "dumb".
> This is okay. If you feel that 13Meg is just too small, I can move Ubuntu
> from a 40Meg drive to the 13Meg drive on another machine. If it is okay with
> you, I would like to stay focused on your lab: Install a working Fedora
> release and then install the lab, without playing around with games or any
> other applications, and then work with the lab.
>
> Do you have time to help me with the basics? I know the chip design process
> and have used MAGIC and LASI in the past for small designs.
>
> Thank you Chitlesh for your time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Please accept my apologies for not replying earlier.

Indeed 40Meg is too small. I would recommend you to use our new Fedora
USB feature [1].

The idea behind the Fedora USB feature is to allow anyone to create
liveusb stick based on Fedora iso. Hence you can have your FEL in your
usbstick and walk with it anywhere you want. There is also a small
windows software[2] to create such liveusb image. The wiki page [2]
describes how to create such liveusb disk.

Using the persistant mode you can even save your data on the usb stick.

I invite you to join our mailing list [3].

Happy Chip design with your usbstick.

[1]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo
[2]: https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
[3]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-electronic-lab-list/