[Fedora-electronic-lab] Fedora is being bulky.

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 13 09:18:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Tom varghese wrote:
> Hello there,
> I feel fedora electronic lab become bulkier as number of programs increases.
> Is there any way to build the .iso file with favourite programs only and
> then download online?. This method is used by several other distro such as
> 'slax'

Hello Tom,

Actually you can build any iso, but not online yet at Fedora. Fedora
tends instead to encourage you to build the iso as an official spin
and create a community around it.

I'll describe the steps to build a customized iso.

Building a live ISO at fedora is absolutely not difficult at all. I
fear this email will be a bit too long :)

Livecds are built from kickstart file.
First have a look at FEL's kickstart file for F-13,
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/spin-kickstarts.git?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob_plain;f=fedora-livedvd-electronic-lab.ks;hb=master

In order to make generation of livecd iso easily and that other spins
such as Fedora Education can use FEL spin as a model, FEL kickstart
divide the spin into two categories :

* The desktop environment ( line %include fedora-livecd-desktop.ks )
* FEL Collection + Additional packages

If you want your spin to be :
* gnome based: use %include fedora-livecd-desktop.ks
* kde based : use %include fedora-livecd-kde.ks
* xfce based : use %include fedora-livecd-xfce.ks
* lxde based : use %include fedora-livecd-lxde.ks

grab them from
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/spin-kickstarts.git?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=tree;hb=master

It's only one line to change in order to opt for a different desktop
environment. This is very useful for you since appropriate testing
were carried out by their respective communities.

About your customized FEL livecd/livedvd:
All FEL applications are available under the yum groupinstall group
"electronic-lab" : (line @electronic-lab ) and the extra packages are
listed afterwards. This make it easy and less work load for us to
maintain and troubleshoot the FEL spin.

In your case remove @electronic-lab from the %package section and add
the name of the packages you wish to have.
The current list of packages under the FEL umbrella is:
http://chitlesh.fedorapeople.org/FEL/list.html

Choose yours.

I hope I was able to answer you.
You can find more details on