Sponsor request for packages: wpa_supplicant, ion2

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Apr 18 06:43:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 11:47:53PM -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Oh, and here are the spec files:
>
> http://mcgrof.com/fedora/SPECS/ion.spec
> http://mcgrof.com/fedora/SPECS/wpa_supplicant.spec

In wpa_supplicant.spec
CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE=y

That is fine or otherwise '%{_sbindir}/wpa_cli' is rather useless
but if we have that then what about

CONFIG_READLINE=y

too?  The later is not turned on by default in order for binaries
to be distributable with a BSD license as 'realine' library is GPL.
I think that a Linux version will fall into the later category anyway.

What about 'CONFIG_XSUPPLICANT_IFACE'?  I am not sure about that
myself one way or another for a default.

%doc is empty. This should read at least

%doc %{name}-%{version}/README %{name}-%{version}/ChangeLog

as these supply the documentation as it is right now.
I would be inclined to add there also a distribution version
of wpa_supplicant.conf.  It is %config(noreplace) so once you
edited it it is gone without unpacking the package.  Comments
and examples in this file are really helpful showing how this
works.  Some explanations how to hook up that to hotplug would
be also nice.

In ion.spec there is

%define date	%(echo `LC_ALL="C" date +"%a %b %d %Y"`)
%changelog
* %{date} Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu>

Ugh!  This is "cute" but it does not give you really any timeline
information when you are reading a spec file, will modify
%changelog if you will recompile that later and I already
run into a situation when rpmbuild spit on me that changelog entries
are not in a chronological order because spec included trickery like
this. IMO this is a very bad idea.  Use emacs to edit a spec file
and it will fill that whole line for you. rpm-spec-user-full-name
and rpm-spec-user-mail-address can be customized.  Besides you do
not really need 'echo'.

  Michal