Sponsor Request: jigdo

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Apr 22 20:26:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 03:31:32PM +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I wonder if jigdo and bt could work together. I don't mean jigdo use
> bt, I mean use jigdo to create the .iso.tmp from rawhide packages on a
> machine, and then start up bittorent with the partial iso from jigdo.

What is a .tmp file in this context?

> I'd like to try it with FC4T3 and see if bittorrent is able to work
> starting from an incomplete iso created by jigdo.

jigdo can create the complete iso, though.

> If it does work, the benefit is that those with rawhide on their
> systems could use bt to get the rest of what they don't have, and bt
> would benefit because there would be more seeds early on.

Did you see the thread on fedora-test-list?  I did exactly what you
suggest, but using jigdo to create the iso.  You could then start bt
on the iso to provide a seed.

> Chuck - are you planning to create a .jigdo file for test3?

Yes.

> With test2 - jigdo found 85% of the files in my rawhide mirror (by
> file, not by size - I don't know by size) - if it works, I'll post
> instructions to the test list so that *possibly* fc4 release torrent
> could benefit. If it works, it certainly is better efficient use of
> bandwidth for peer seeding of the torrent.
>
> I know that bad downloads can be fixed via bittorent (the client will
> scan it, throw away the bad parts, and refetch them) so I think it
> might work.

It should work.  There should be no reason that bittorrent would need
to fix a bad download, because the .iso created by jigdo should be
complete and md5/sha1 correct.