D1x license

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Apr 29 21:58:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 16:31 -0400, Michael Wiktowy wrote:

> I think you are talking apples and oranges here. In my mind, "some
> restrictions on the distribution of packages" does not equal "totally
> illegal to distribute in some countries with screwed up IP laws". AFAIK,
> livna.org is intended for the latter and probably can't even by linked
> to directly in the Fedora installer for fear of
> contributory-yadda-yadda-yadda (sorry for the legal jargon ;]).

There are at least some packages in livna bugzilla that do not have
legal reasons. The madwifi driver for example, it's not illegal to
distribute - but it does contain a binary HAL taints the kernel (the
binary HAL does not use any kernel code and is OS independent)

>From what I understand (I wasn't active in Fedora at the time, I was
doing stuff mostly in LFS) livna exists as a result of the Fedora.us and
Red Hat merge - packages in Fedora.us that did not meet Red Hat's
requirements were farmed out to rpm.livna.org. Most of those were patent
issue packages, but I don't believe it is limited to that.