use of gtk-update-icon-cache?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Apr 30 18:17:45 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, den 30.04.2005, 08:41 -0500 schrieb Rex Dieter:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 29.04.2005, 11:36 +0200 schrieb F. Kooman:
> >>%post
> >># update icon themes
> >>touch %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor
> >>if [ -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]; then
> >>  /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache --quiet %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor
> >>fi
> > AFAIK we also need to do this in %post and %postun in every FC4/devel
> > extras-package that installs something into "%{_datadir}/icons/*/" so
> > the cache files found there.
>
> IMO, this is getting friggin rediculous adding so much crud in
> %%post/%%postun to *so many* packages.  Can't this task be relagated to
> a nightly cron job instead (controlled by whatever owns
> /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache, of course)?

Yes, I also would like a working solution where such a scriptlet is not
needed. But that's imo a decision that should be done in core. And in
core this scriptlet was added to a lot of packages one or two month ago.
There was a short discussion on this topic (cron job or other solutions
to avoid scriptlet) then, too. Without a better solution iirc.