Pre-Review: Asterisk

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sat Apr 2 14:28:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 23:14 -0600, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:

> Specifically I'm wondering what the best way to package
> kernel modules for Fedora Extras would be.  Yes, it would be nice to get
> these kernel drivers into Linus' tree but that's not practical at the
> moment.

David Woodhouse asked me to clarify this statement.  When I said that
getting the Zaptel kernel drivers into Linus' tree wasn't practical at
the moment I was speaking mostly about getting the cooperation of the
original authors (Digium, www.digium.com) in maintaining the drivers in
the kernel tree.  There is also the matter of the time it would take to
have the drivers reviewed by Linus, et. al., get into a released kernel,
get the new kernel packaged up for Fedora, etc., etc. and I'm anxious
(as I'm sure many are) to get Asterisk into Fedora Extras.

So, until such time as the Zaptel drivers get into the stock kernel, I'd
like to have the drivers packaged separately.

Also, it is true that the Zaptel drivers are not required to run
Asterisk you lose some significant functionality, including meetme
conferences.
Jeff