Kernel module packages (was - Re: Pre-Review: Asterisk)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Apr 3 12:21:46 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, den 02.04.2005, 22:43 -0600 schrieb Tom 'spot' Callaway:
> > There is, of course, this problem that during development a module
> > source code may have its own version as well but one can possibly
> > overload a release part to get around the issue.
>
> I don't think we care. Bump the release if a newer version of the
> module comes out. :)

I don't really like this idea. The version of the kernel-module needs to
be somewhere because it is of interest sometimes -- especially with the
ati and nvidia X-drivers. Example: nvidia driver version 1.0-7174 will
only work with 3d-accel when the kernel-module is compiled from the
nvidia-1.0-7174 package, not with modules compiled from older ones (e.g.
1.0-7167). This maybe could be solved by a
Provides: kernel-module-nvidia-glx-version = 1.0-7174

in the kernel-module-nvidia-flx package and a
Requires: kernel-module-nvidia-glx-version = 1.0-7174

in the nvidia-glx package, which contains the graphics driver itself.

Okay, something similar could be achieved by a
Requires: kernel-module-nvidia-glx = $(uname -r)-release

in the driver-package. But tracking which kernel-module release is build
from which "source" is rather confusing this way imho (and makes
debugging in a case of an error hard). Also in this case the driver
package would have to be rebuild on each kernel-update. So it's a no go
afaics.