Suggestion: quilt

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Apr 6 04:30:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 20:39 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 10:45 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > >
> > > ...you create a different mechanism to deal with it.  I was unaware of
> > > the trigger stuff you refer to but it looks almost right::
> >
> > Please don't use a trigger unless they're absolutely, 100% required with
> > no other way around them.
> >
> > Writing a trigger that is completely future proof (which is required,
> > given how triggers work) is *extremely* difficult to do.
>
> Ok, latest quilt packages at http://jdub.homelinux.org/files/
>
> I've trimmed some of the Requires, removed the Authors part from the %
> description, and fixed a warning that was printed when viewing the man
> page.
>
> The package still owns the /etc/bash_completion.d directory because I'm
> still not sure how to handle that.  It seems to want fixing so that when
> quilt is removed that directory doesn't get removed as well since there
> might be other things in there.

If there's other things in it, the directory will be left so this isn't
an issue.

> I still don't see what the problem is with having it
> own /etc/bash_completion.d/quilt instead of the whole directory.
> Someone care to enlighten me again?

If bash_completion isn't installed on the system, quilt will
create /etc/bash_completion.d.  When quilt is erased, it will leave the
empty bash_completion.d directory in /etc with nothing owning it.  If
bash_completion.d is installed on the system but is uninstalled before
quilt is uninstalled the same thing occurs (because bash_completion is
unable to remove the directory while other files are inside.)

The reason this isn't needed for say /usr/share/man/man1 is that there's
a string of dependent packages (quilt->glibc->basesystem->filesystem)
for quilt that leads to the filesystem package which owns it.
Similarly, for python packages one doesn't have to
own /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages because they depend on python which
owns that directory.

So if your package's dependency chain leads to a package which owns the
directory in question, you don't need to own it.  Otherwise you need to.

Look under the %files heading on this page::
  http://www.fedora.redhat.com/participate/developers-guide/ch-rpm-
building.html
for more information.

-Toshio