xmms-artsplugin

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Apr 6 18:34:09 UTC 2005

> IMO,
> 1.  It's a separate tarball, it should be a separate package.
lots of stuff picks up separate tarballs into one package for user
convenience.

> 2.  As is, requires hackery in the xmms specfile to use the just-built,
> but not-yet installed xmms-devel files.
true

> 3.  It adds a dependancy on arts, which not all folks want/need (unless
> it has been upgraded to the artsplugin-0.7.1 that is)... ( and AutoReq:
> No shouldn't be used either)

<shrug>

> 4.  When/If artsplugin is ever upgraded, won't require a rebuild of the
> entire xmms.

I think it's closer to 'if' than 'when'
last time I checked xmms devel has halted.

> (Most of the same arguments can be made for packaging xmms-skins
> separately too, especially since it can be .noarch and be shared among
> all archs).

<shrug>

If you want to pickup xmms for extras, feel free. I was just building it
and patching up the spec file to shut some loud people up.

if you'd like to be the owner, it's all yours.

-sv