Request for Review: bioperl and its dependancies

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Apr 7 05:08:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 12:59 -0400, Hunter Matthews wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 11:47, José Pedro Oliveira wrote:
> > Hunter,
> >
> > A couple of notes about the specfiles:
> >
> > * License
> >
> >   License: GPL or Artistic
>
> I was unaware perl was dual licensed. Ok - fixing now.
Well, Perl is dual licensed, but individual modules aren't necessarily.

Some of them are pure GPL, some of them are pure Artistic and some of
them come under other licenses. In theory you'll have to look up each
module's licensing anew.

> > * URL
> >
> >   If the module is available in CPAN don't use a URL
> >   that contains the author id and the module version.
> >
> >   Example:
> >   Use
> >     http://search.cpan.org/dist/Heap/
> >   instead of
> >     http://search.cpan.org/~jmm/Heap-0.70/
> >
> I was using the urls provided when I searched cpan itself.
>
> Is this requirement documented anywhere?
I am not aware about such a requirement. But even if, this should be
reconsidered.

> > * Source tarball URL
> >
> >   If the module is available in CPAN there is a shorter URL.
> >
> >   Example:
> >   use
> >   http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/J/JM/JMM/Heap-0.70.tar.gz
> >   instead
> >   http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/J/JM/JMM/Heap-0.70.tar.gz
> >

> Again, these came from doing a simple cut-n-paste from searching
> CPAN.
>
> Is this other url form requirement documented anywhere?
I am not aware about such a requirement. But even if, this should be
reconsidered.

Ralf