Laptop-mode-tools

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 12 02:23:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 23:33 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:

> Hmm with laptop_mode engaged, does it properly sync before going into
> suspend?  Suspend is often hazardous and it could very easily kill 10
> minutes of data. =)

Very good point. As far as I can tell, laptop-mode doesn't do anything
in particular at all when the computer is suspending. If there's an
explicit sync I think it should do the syncing, otherwise I think your
scenario is quite possible. (Not one I thought much about, to be honest,
since my notebook stubbornly refuses to wake up from suspend so I have
given up on it for now, although I retest it with new kernel versions.)
Perhaps it would actually be possible to sync just before actually
suspending in the suspend script?

I'll check if the upstream maintainer of the laptop-mode tools has any
input on this.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University