Whether tis nobler to break backwards compat or upstream compat...

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Apr 13 19:26:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 19:00 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:00 -0400, Toshio wrote:
> > > >
> > I think tradition has been to package (2.0) as python-quixote and if
> > someone needed python-quixote-1.x to make a python-quixote1 package
> This is only possible if both packages can be installed in parallel or
> if both packages are strictly orthogonal alternatives.
>
> Otherwise adding a "backward legacy" package is not possible.

True.  What I didn't quote was Shahms's question as to whether he (as
packager) should make the python-quixote 2.x package parallel
installable with version 1.x.  Rather than spend time doing that, it
seemed to me that the new version should be installed as is and if
there's a need for a 1.x, do the packaging work there to make it
parallel install.

-Toshio
                                                                 GA->ME 1999