brightside and PPC

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Wed Apr 13 21:07:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:12:52AM +1000, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 09:39 +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:
> > I was just fixing the brightside build errors. I did also test it on PPC
> > and detected, that it doesn't build on PPC. I think it requires acme to
> > build successfully on PPC, but as acme is neither in Core nor in Extras
> > the build fails. I will therefore add ExcludeArch: ppc ppc64 in the spec
> > file. Does this make sense?
>
> Is it not odd that acme is required on ppc/ppc64 but not on the other
> archs?
>
> In fact, acme has been rolled into gnome's control-center since say, 2.6
> iirc, so it shouldn't require acme on any arch to make it work

I haven' tried it out, it was just a guess that it needs acme. If
brightside is compiled on ppc then USE_FBLEVEL is defined which enables
code which uses do_brightness_action() and I found that acme provides
this function.
I had another look at brightside and I think that it doesn't work at all
on PPC because another error is that it tries to use code which if
commented out with #if 0 ... #endif.
As far as I see there are now 2 options. Either the package isn't build
at all for PPC or the PPC specific code (mostly it is dim backlight)
could be disabled and brightside would offer the same functionality as
on i386.

		Adrian