Request for Review - PyRTF

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 14:31:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 18:51 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 06:32:35PM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > > Shouln't this be "python-PyRTF" as per
> > > <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines>?
> > Strictly speaking, yes, but the "python-" prefix is superfluous due to
> > the upstream name starting with "Py".
>
> I guess there's precedent for that in PyXML and PyQt.
>
> Personally, I think the clarity is worth a little bit of redundancy, but I
> guess I don't have strong feelings.
>
> Either the package guidelines should be updated to say "Unless the upstream
> name actually already starts with 'Py'", or else we should be consistent.

Umm, the package guidelines say this already:

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines#head-9a056b0f7ea52b2f6b40a4fb628372cd53ffd6bb

"There is an exception to this rule. If the upstream source has "py" in
its name, you can use that name for the package. So, for example, pygtk
is acceptable."

If the maintainer wants to call the package python-pyWhatever, as far as
I'm concerned, thats fine. pyWhatever is also fine. Its up to him/her.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!