i18n guidelines?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sun Apr 17 12:56:50 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 06:40:26PM -0700, Michael Peters wrote:
> I did not see anything in the wiki about this.
>
> A spec file I'm working on puts all of its i18n stuff into
>
> /usr/share/gourmet/i18n
>
> That means I can't use the find_lang macro on it, find_lang doesn't look
> there.
>
> Looking at other packages that have i18n stuff - it looks like (from
> what I have installed) vim is the only other package on my system that
> puts any internationalization stuff into a /usr/share/package directory.
>
> Does the package need to be patched to instead put its international
> stuff into /usr/share/locale ?

[snip]

> Would this be something I should do (as in its broken, doesn't fit
> guidelines), or is there no issue and would it be better to leave it the
> way upstream does it (as in don't fix what ain't broke)?

I consider it broken as I will occasionally look in /usr/share/locale to see
what packages are broken WRT language marking in spec files.  FHS would
probably be the definitive guide....

> Using find_lang of course is desirable.

If you choose not to move the files, you'd have to mark those files manually
or I will start filing bugzillas :-).  So moving files is probably easiest.
If the patch is as short as you describe, upstream would probably be willing
to consider it and tell you if there was some issue that casued them to put
them in /usr/share/gourmet instead of /usr/share/locale.

-Toshio