Sponsor Request: jigdo

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Apr 19 09:56:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:08:01 -0400, Chuck R. Anderson wrote:

> I'd like to import jigdo into CVS.  I've built and tested this on FC3.
> It won't build on FC4--perhaps someone can help me with that.
>
> Jigsaw Download, or short jigdo, is a tool designed to ease the
> distribution of very large files over the internet, for example CD or
> DVD images.  Its aim is to make downloading the images as easy for
> users as a click on a direct download link in a browser, while
> avoiding all the problems that server administrators have with hosting
> such large files.  It accomplishes this by using the separate pieces
> of any big file (such as the files contained within a CD/DVD image) to
> create a special "template" file which makes reassembly of the big
> file very easy for users who only have the pieces.
>
> http://angus.ind.wpi.edu/~cra/fedora/extras/jigdo/
>
> Upstream:	http://atterer.net/jigdo/
> Licence:	GPL w/OpenSSL exception
>
> Does anyone have a problem with this?

No. But does it still contain so many Debian specific files and defaults?
E.g. Debian mirror lists as opposed to Fedora mirror lists? I don't find
that useful. If you want to lobby for jigdo distribution of Fedora ISOs,
the package should at least offer some experimental Fedora-specific
config defaults.