sqlite update plans (was: Re: APPROVED: sqlite)

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Wed Apr 20 15:09:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 06:29 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 11:47 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:32:41 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> >
> > > sqlite: Library that implements an embeddable SQL database engine
> > >
> > > Imported from Rawhide and release-dropped to maintain upgradeability to
> > > FC4.
> > >
> > > Maintainer for FE3: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > What have you planned to do with SQLite v3 in FE3? Are you aware that this
> > major upgrade breaks the SQLite ABI/API and hence breaks compatibility
> > with other packages in FE3? Fortunately, we don't have many sqlite
> > dependencies in FE3. But "python-sqlite" and "kannel" now would need an
> > update, too.
>
> You are of course correct, but this will have to be dealt with sooner or
> later. Better now while we have some time rather than later when FC4 is
> out and upgrading is borked. In the meantime I'll hold off on building
> the FC3 packages so that we can do it properly.
>
> The question at this point becomes whether we should patch kannel  for
> sqlite 3 or create a sqlite2 package (python-sqlite for sqlite 3 already
> exists in Rawhide and can just be imported).
>
> Also, there's php-pecl-sqlite. It has its own private copy of libsqlite,
> but are the file formats the same between sqlite 2.8 and 3?

So after some thinking here then is my plan of attack:

1) Reimport the sqlite-2.8.16-1 package as sqlite2-2.8.16-1.
2) Provide a patch for kannel for it to use sqlite2.
3) Reimport the python-sqlite package as python-sqlite2 and have it
obsolete anything older than or equal to the current python-sqlite
package.
4) Import the python-sqlite package from Rawhide and have the devel
branch pruned once it's synced for FC3.

Naturally I hope to involve the current sqlite 2.8, kannel, and python-
sqlite maintainers (Panu Matilainen, Matthias Saou, and Thomas Vander
Stichele respectively) in any relevant steps. I am also willing to take
maintainership of the new python-sqlite package if so desired.

I realize that python-sqlite2 and python-sqlite won't be parallel-
installable. I don't have an easy answer for that.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/