sqlite update plans (was: Re: APPROVED: sqlite)

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Apr 21 10:05:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:25:39 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 18:39 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > Re 4) there is a python-sqlite in FC-3 branch already and it's for
> > the v2 sqlite version.
>
> Yes, hence step 3.

Can we let the FC-3 branch rest in peace until everything is sorted out
in "devel"? That's all I would like to recommend.

> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 18:39 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Right. And the question is not silly. I find it natural to develop and
> > prepare for FC4 and only do major version upgrades for FE3 if there is
> > demand [in form of package dependencies].
>
> As you had mentioned yourself in f-e-c, "the sudden appearance of sqlite
> v3 in Rawhide has created chaos", and I'm just trying to help clean it
> up.

Yes, but in "devel" please. ;)

> If it isn't dealt with soon then it will be too late, and anyone that
> has kannel or moodss installed will be unable to cleanly upgrade to FC4
> without manual intervention.

Maybe taking this topic to maintainers-list or filing bug reports would
help? I mean, either the existing sqlite deps can be updated to work with
sqlite v3 or they cannot. In case of the latter, an sqlite2 package is
what has been suggested some time ago (also in the %prep section of the
sqlite package in "devel" when sqlite appeared in Rawhide).

> Now, shall I proceed with the creation and import of a sqlite2 package
> that obsoletes sqlite < 3?

In "devel" that would be the road of least surprise, also with regard
to Jean-Luc's need to sqlite tcl, which had appeared in Rawhide and then
was removed again, btw.