sqlite update plans (was: Re: APPROVED: sqlite)

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Thu Apr 21 10:30:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 12:05 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:25:39 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> > > Re 4) there is a python-sqlite in FC-3 branch already and it's for
> > > the v2 sqlite version.
> >
> > Yes, hence step 3.
>
> Can we let the FC-3 branch rest in peace until everything is sorted out
> in "devel"? That's all I would like to recommend.
>
> > On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 18:39 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > > Right. And the question is not silly. I find it natural to develop and
> > > prepare for FC4 and only do major version upgrades for FE3 if there is
> > > demand [in form of package dependencies].
> >
> > As you had mentioned yourself in f-e-c, "the sudden appearance of sqlite
> > v3 in Rawhide has created chaos", and I'm just trying to help clean it
> > up.
>
> Yes, but in "devel" please. ;)
>
> > If it isn't dealt with soon then it will be too late, and anyone that
> > has kannel or moodss installed will be unable to cleanly upgrade to FC4
> > without manual intervention.
>
> Maybe taking this topic to maintainers-list or filing bug reports would
> help? I mean, either the existing sqlite deps can be updated to work with
> sqlite v3 or they cannot. In case of the latter, an sqlite2 package is
> what has been suggested some time ago (also in the %prep section of the
> sqlite package in "devel" when sqlite appeared in Rawhide).
>
> > Now, shall I proceed with the creation and import of a sqlite2 package
> > that obsoletes sqlite < 3?
>
> In "devel" that would be the road of least surprise, also with regard
> to Jean-Luc's need to sqlite tcl, which had appeared in Rawhide and then
> was removed again, btw.

Fair enough, one step at a time works for me. I'll put together a
sqlite2 package and submit the spec file for review. Then once it's been
imported I'll file bugs against each of the packages affected in order
to get the deps changed.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/