Octave-forge and legal issues

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Mon Apr 25 18:19:10 UTC 2005

Matthias Saou wrote:

>Quentin Spencer wrote :
>

>>2. Create a modified source tarball with the offending code removed.
>>This would be easy, but the source wouldn't match the upstream source.
>>

>This has already been done for some packages (e.g. xmms, gstreamer-
>plugins), and AFAIK is acceptable. Ideally, include as one of the
>"SourceX:" lines a quick little script that can reproduce the modified
>tarball from the original one (uncompress the original tarball, remove
>this and that, recompress with the new tarball name).
>
>Matthias

OK, what about this:

Source0:
ftp://download.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/o/oc/octave/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
Source1:        %{name}-%{version}.patched.tar.gz
Source2:        %{name}-mktarball.sh
NoSource:       0

%prep
%setup -q -T -b 1

The octave-forge-mktarball.sh does basically what you described. I'm not
familiar with the use of NoSource--I figured this out just now from
Maximum RPM. Is this the right approach? I haven't built the whole
package, but this seems do to what I want.

-Quentin