New Package Process

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 03:03:25 UTC 2005

Before reading the many messages in this thread, I need to state this:

NewPackageProcess was never meant to have a separate "sponsor" and
"review" during the package adding process.  Sponsor was to be referred
to only for what is necessary to get a CVS account, and "review" is the
process by which a package becomes approved.

A package must be approved explicitly by a reviewer.  Many people have
confused this to mean "whoever submitted a review can be listed in the
APPROVED mail".

It does not really matter if CVS import happens before review and
revisions or after, as long as an explicit approval is made before it is
built.  The original NewPackageProcess allowed cvs import before review
because it makes it easier to review and revise if it is in CVS.

If the wording in NewPackageProcess is ambiguous it should be fixed to
make all of this clear.

This process however we are trying to replace with the database driven
process, but that keeps getting held back due to being too busy with
other things.  I personally will have time to design it probably later
this week after FC4test3 is frozen.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com